Saturday, May 24, 2014

What's underneath us (or at least underneath Manhattan)?

Here’s an odd question: where is ground level in Manhattan, or more precisely in lower Manhattan?

I ask because I found myself the other day, in Tribeca (which is near the World Trade Center in lower Manhattan), looking down on a narrow space between a building and a street-level parking lot. It wouldn’t have been odd to look down there at a stairway coming up from a basement. But here what I was looking at, 10 or 15 feet below me, was ground, complete with a couple of trees growing out of it. It rather looked as if the street level where I was standing was not the true ground level at all, but rather the result of piling who knows what – concrete, pipes, power-lines, etc., etc., etc. – on top of the ground to reach where I now stood.


I tried to google this, and learned that Manhattan is built on granite that’s hard to tunnel down into. As a result, evidently, many Manhattan subway lines aren’t very far beneath the ground. But what I’m wondering about is roughly the opposite: how far above the ground has the city chosen to perch itself? I’m sure the answer is different in different parts of the city, but I begin to think that as a general matter the whole place has been built up several feet, at least, above the actual ground. New York’s skyscrapers are a remarkable sight, of course, but the idea that the bottom of the city, perhaps most of an entire island, might have been built up this much is quite remarkable too.

No comments:

Post a Comment