Monday, January 21, 2019

The latest from MSK

Here's the latest -- a bit too action-packed, though also interesting from a sufficiently abstract perspective. Hopefully it's clarifying for you (and Teresa and me). 

So: as you may recall, I was admitted to MSK’s hospital on Thursday, December 27, and remained there until Monday, December 31. This hospitalization was fundamentally about the water retention in my feet, and to some extent throughout my body. The core question seemed to be how to balance the available treatment's impact on my liver with the impact on my kidneys; they sent me home when they felt they had a plan for doing just that.                                                                                                                
Unfortunately the next big event, which took place two weeks later, was another MSK hospitalization, or rather a prolonged stay at MSK’s Urgent Care: almost a hospitalization but not quite. The reason for this one was that I was suffering another of the partial – but very unpleasant – digestive blockages of which I’ve had 5 or more at various points in my treatment. This round began on Tuesday, January 15  2019; or to be more precise, it had begun late the previous night, around 11 PM on Monday, January 14. We hoped I would just feel better, as has happened in at least one of these rounds before, but I didn’t. So around 2 AM on the morning of Tuesday, January 15 we arrived at the Urgent Care Center, which is located in the same building as MSK’s hospital on NY’s East Side. We stayed there till around 5 PM on Tuesday, January 15, so I was in urgent care for well over 12 hours but never actually admitted as an inpatient. Why not? Well, one reason – the fact that the hospital staff lost track of where I was – needs an account all its own, which I hope to write later today. But I think the main reason I wasn’t admitted – aside from MSK’s complex logistics – was mainly that the treatment they gave me for the pain of the digestive blockage (intravenous morphine, available only in a hospital and definitely not at home) was effective.

There was another reason that I felt better: a reason Teresa has put together. This is that since what is happening is some sort of blockage, where tubes of my digestive system rub up against some other part of my digestion and get kinked up together, I will feel better if the kinked up strands can be made to loosen up and un-kink. The first evidence we had had of this theory’s validity came the night I was taken by ambulance to the Barnabas Hospital in New Jersey to be treated for an earlier blockage (perhaps the second one I’d had). By the time we reached the hospital, after a drive in which an EMT and I discussed my forthcoming biography of Arthur Chaskalson, I felt distinctly better. Teresa hoped – it was really her call, because I was in so much pain that I didn’t have much strength for making a choice in the early morning of January 15, 2019 -- that on January 15, the drive from home in the New Jersey suburbs to MSK would help. As far as I can remember (which is not too far!), it did.

We hoped that this theory came with a corollary: namely, that if the pain came from a blockage resulting from a temporary kinking, then it did not come from something permanent or semi-permanent, such as the renewed growth of my tumors. While we were at MSK on January 15, they did another X-ray and also an abdomen pelvis CT scan (back on December 11, 2018 they had done a “CT chest abdomen pelvis” scan). The January 15, 2019 scan showed continued cancer growth, but it is difficult to know how much weight to put in this reading, since different doctors with different amounts of time may reach different conclusions about what a scan says. But the urgent care doctor’s view is that the cancer could in fact be the cause of the latest digestive round.

Since I was discharged I’ve done my best – with Teresa’s careful support – to eat foods that won’t put any more stress on my digestive system than necessary. That’s not by any means easy, but since then the pain I’ve had has been manageable, and I’ve had no need for intervention against what doctors call “breakthrough pain.” I hope this continues!

And there is more to do as well. We’ll also be discussing treatment options again; these promise to be a major topic of conversation for an indefinite period. I will get an MRI of one suspicious area to see if it’s cancerous, early in the week; I may also get a "blood biopsy," meant to look for any "targetable" mutations in my tumors' genetic make-up that could be pursued with treatment. I also should receive, whether in a document or otherwise, my medical exemption from jury duty, which will remove that concern for two years. Later in the week we see the oncologist. She in turn has already agreed that it is appropriate for us to discuss matters with the radiation oncologist, whose high-dose approach over the summer was apparently both fatal for my liver tumors and quite a challenge for my liver’s condition overall, so we’ll be setting that up. And over the weekend we go to see … Hamilton! (I'll bet you didn't expect this paragraph to end with "Hamilton"; once again Teresa is the mastermind, having won a lottery giving her the opportunity to purchase tickets.)

And that’s the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment