Sunday, November 19, 2017

No news is pretty good news

Teresa and I went to Sloan Kettering on Friday, hoping that my liver had gotten over the inflammation it had suffered as a result of my chemotherapy, and that I could resume the chemotherapy now.

What we learned was that in fact my liver is much better. But the oncologist decided to give me another two weeks of steroid treatment of the liver, rather than to start back up with the chemotherapy right away. I was disappointed, but I can’t really disagree with her decision (even aside from the fact that she’s the doctor and I’m not!), because this will give my liver more time to really settle down, and that should make it more likely that the future treatment – scheduled to resume in December – will go well.


Meanwhile I was in good enough shape to fly with Teresa to Atlanta last weekend. There we attended the latest iteration of the Richard Ellmann Lectures in Modern Literature, named for my father and organized by Emory University. The lecturer, who was very interesting, was the novelist Colm Tóibín. Our role was to be the appreciative Ellmann family members (along with my sister Maud and her husband John) – and since we in fact did appreciate this event very much, that was an easy role to play. Here's a picture of Tóibín, Teresa and me: 


No comments:

Post a Comment