Saturday, November 25, 2017

Two years of cancer

On November 25, 2015 Teresa and I learned that I had cholangiocarcinoma. It was a frightening time.

Now here we are, exactly two years later. I’ve been in chemotherapy more or less continuously through that time, and expect to stay in it for the foreseeable future. It’s not something I’d have done if I didn’t have to, but that said, it’s not too bad either. It’s also worked pretty well in keeping the cancer in check.

As a result, I’m still here and still going strong. With Teresa’s constant help, I’ve learned to live with cancer. I’ve been very fortunate to be able to do work that I enjoy – writing a biography of a great South African judge who was also a friend of mine – and I’ve appreciated each day (okay, most days) in a way that I might have been too hurried and harried to do before.


It’s good to be here. On to the next two years, and the two years after that, and more.

2 comments:

  1. You and Teresa have been so inspirational through the grace and strength you’ve shown us. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete